A PERU TRIP – in a nutshell
To whet your appetite for the Ashaninka visit with Cool Earth
1. Hop on a plane to Lima with myself, Cool Earth’s Lauren and the one and only Mr Joolz. Get to know our head of Peru - the living legend that is Dilwyn Jenkins over a Pisco Sour - Peru’s national drink.
2. Head over the Andes, greet the llamas, drive through the cloud forest and arrive in the dusty frontier town of Satipo. Oddly enough, it has its own Bavarian style karaoke bar. And, it just so happens that our Lauren has a set of pipes that would make Mariah Carey proud. I want to see her take on the Peruvian locals with Ricky Martin’s Livin’ la Vida Loca.
3. Travel up the Rio Ené by boat into the rainforest - it’s jungle time. Get settled in with our lovely Ashaninka partners who will be your host for the coming week.
4. Get your sweat moustache on. I’m not lying when I say that it is hot. HOT. H-O-T. You will spend the next week bathing in your own sweat as we trek from village to village (or swing…)
5. Try out the local beer – masato – made from manioc. It looks a bit odd and tastes yeasty, but after a long hot day in the forest it is surprisingly refreshing.
6. Get cultural. The Ashaninka have lived in the Central Selva of Peru for at least 5,000 years. They are also Peru’s largest indigenous nation. Take this once in a lifetime opportunity to find out about this fascinating culture, and dabble in a bit of local sport – chotonka.
7. Eat some of the weirdest food you’ve ever seen – tapir, giant rodent, armadillo, caterpillar.
8. An almost inevitable step from number 7. Get ill. Having a small case of the runs is, I’m afraid, part of the course. Stock up on Imodium and grit your teeth. We once went with a man who was so terrified by the prospect of diarrhoea sans toilet that he took a whole pack of Imodium at once - and didn’t ‘go’ the entire time. Very unpleasant.
9. The real reason you are here – seeing first hand what the Adventurists’ support for our work with the Ashaninka is all about. You’ll be tasked with spreading the ‘Save the World through Adventure’ message far and wide.
10. Head home older and wiser - with a couple of tropical diseases that will emerge in three-years time in the form of a foot-long worm in your gut.
We can’t wait. May 23rd
Love Kitty and the Cool Earth Team.