Other handy bits of information

Spares truck

You can carry whatever spares you think you can safely handle (we will have an opinion on what is reasonable if you turn up loaded like a pack horse). On top of that we have a truck that you can put some extra items that might just not fit about your person.

The spares truck will move along the course positioning itself as best as possible nearest to the most number of pilots. If you need the bits on the truck you will need to come to the truck to grab them. You will be given the truck's phone number to find out it's location when in need.

Each pilot can opt to put a spare propeller in the truck and a box of spares with these dimensions: 

Width - 255 mm

Depth  - 395 mm

Height - 155 mm

That's a capacity of 9 litres. You can find a good cheap example of a box that fits the bill here on Amazon which is cheap and sturdy. 

Other spares

There may well be some spares you need which you may not want to buy unless you need them. For example a whole new frame section. Also the thing that breaks is pretty much guaranteed to be the thing you didn't pack.

One option we have come up with is to tap into the dealer network in the US who can post out kit double quick to a location near you. You should be able to get next day delivery on most items.

Kit list

There is some kit that we insist you have with you so we can actually run the race and to ensure you a roughly safe.

So here it is...

  • A helmet - certified to E.N. 966 or equivalent
  • An airband radio - with a headset
  • Reserve parachute
  • Navigation tools - some sort of GPS / moving map ability and / or smartphone and / good set of maps and charts and a compass
  • Power management solution- need to keep the tracker and smartphone charged for flights. Especially regarding the Delorme tracker- see above.

Airband Radio and licences

The Icarus Race course is designed in a way that pilots will always have small municipal airports nearby as a resource. While not legally required to fly with, we are requiring that all pilots fly with an Air Band radio (VHF Civil Air Band 108-136MHz) with the ability to both transmit and receive. No license is required in the US to use an Air Band radio, although it might be worth googling how to make a proper radio call.