Mongol Rally Week 1: Bad Week - Good Week
Below is a selection of the more interesting updates from our Live Tracking sent in by teams on-the-road on the Mongol Rally 2011.
- Leon's Mongol Rally: Leon and his team mate Steve had a bit of a bad day, resulting in their car looking like this. They are both fine but have unfortuantely had to drop out of the Mongol Rally. Take a look at Leon's blog on the accident for more info.
- A chap's stomach: One of the ralliers had a rather poorly stomach the morning after Czechout... proof if you ever needed it, that the Czechout Party takes people to the very limit of human body endurance.
- Engines: And so the engine rebuilds begin, team Cider Me Up Genghis have two engines in pieces and are attempting to create one good one 'Its a roller coaster ride of elation and despair as one part fits and another doesn't! Dima, Sergei, and Sacha our mechanics are bloody resourceful tho!'
- Greg’s Hair: One must always be wary of foreign lands and their barbering, especially when it comes to Turkish haircuts. We don't often provide hair based advice, but take heed: 'Greg just visited the Turkish barber to get a haircut...haircut??? Just wait for the pics... BALD'caughing'
- Cats: Whilst one of the teams was driving through a pleasant village in Bohemia, a cat decided to locate itself under their front wheel, 'there was unfortunately not enough time to slow down before we bumped unpleasantly and the cat was most likely reduced to a fine paste.' Would have made a mighty good BBQ feast though, a whole new use and meaning to 'cats eyes'.
- Linguistic Skills: Some of the teams always struggle with the excessive number of languages they have to contend with, we're pleased to see team Crosscontinental Dumpling Tour are making a game of it 'Playing destination roulette, accommodation roulette & menu roulette in Ukraine.' Just be a little more careful in Russia...
- Cultural Sensitivity: 'Driving through Bosnia is a bit like driving through Wales. But wetter. And with more bullet holes.' Bit harsh on Bosnia guys.
- Ukraine: A warm welcome for team Evil Khanevil to Ukrain 'Shouted at by border guards, barely let in then attempted hijack 10mins into the country.'
- Cupcakes: 'Hash cupcake nearly killed James.' What actually happened here Team Outsmart? We are assuming said cupcake was either hurled at bullet-like velocity at James' head... or James is the name of your team's pet ant, and the cupcake was placed incedently upon aformentioned ant, and the ant barely escaped with his life, in which case, poor James, leave him alone.
- Man:Woman Ratio of Mongol Rally: As is often the case at Czechout 'Czechout Party. Had a weird night as ratio was 90% drunk men and about 10% drunk men dressed as females.'... drunk men dressed as females have holes too...
- Alcoholic Consumption: Apparently The Dirty Canadians have managed to source themselves a load of beer for Ramadan (the Islamic month of fasting), that should last them a whole 24 hours...
- Bodge Fixes: After driving late at night and a suspected broken suspension, team Amboriginals realised that it was 'only' a loose break calliper, to which they performed a '...great bodge to fix it by jamming some snapped up hacksaw blades in it. Happy days, on to Kiev.' That's pretty much what we would do too, good old hacksaw blades!
- Daihatsu: A simple but endlessly meaningful message came through from team VY Canis Majoris to alert the world as to their love of a certain car manufacturer 'Daihatsu rules!' Thanks for that.
- Sweat: Team Mongol 1 have just discovered the incredible sticky properties of certain human bodily fluids 'Covered in a thin film of dust, held on by sweat.'
- Haribo: 'Even Russian border guards are not immune to the temptation of Haribo in exchange for not poking round too much!' says team May Contain Nuts
- Fashion Sense: After a pesky Romanian thought it a spiffing idea to launch a brick through Team Bison's window their choice of optical defence seems to have saved the day 'He decided against pinching anything though except our sunglasses... Speaks volumes about our fashion sense.'
- Epic Roads: Much praise has come in for the road Top Gear named the best driving road in the world, 'the Transfăgărășan Highway across the Carpatian Mountains, it is THE BEST road ever built.' says team Jenson Baatarns.
- The Mongol Rally: 'Fucking awesome.' says Team Smart
Follow the Mongol Rally teams as they wobble their way East on the Live Tracking page.
- 10 Pictures
- 10 Years
- Adventure News
- Afternoon Tea
- Bicycle Racing
- Film Festival
- Guest Blog
- Hendrick's Gin
- In Numbers
- Institute Of Adventure Research
- Legend Of Adventure
- Mongol Derby
- Mongol Rally
- Mototaxi Junket
- Rickshaw Run
- Saving The World
- Space Programme
- Tale Of Adventure
- The Ice Run
- World Cycle Race