£5 Million & Rising Fast
A new official charity
We’ve been banging on about saving the world for ages and we’ve raised stupendous amounts of money for a load of amazing charities (5 million GBP and counting). We sat down at HQ and pondered on what we could do that will actually save the world and continue the fight to make it less boring.
Then it hit us like a well polished brogue to the nuts: “we must save every rainforest in the world so future generations have somewhere to get stuck”. Not because we’re tree hugging sandal weavers, but because the world would be shit without them. It’s not just about the carbon, the point is rainforests are indescribably excellent.
What would have happened if David Livingstone had vanished in a supermarket car park? Morton Stanley would have found him 3 minutes later slumped in parking bay 93F surrounded by sweet wrappers and used condoms.
No no no... We need rainforests, not just to create oxygen but to get lost in. Without rainforests we’d have no pith helmets. We’d live in a world with no tigers to run away from. There would be no cock gourds, no poisonous tree frogs, no tarzan, no great apes, no David Livingstone, no Mary Kingsley, no Mungo Park.
“Fuck progress,” said Mr. Tom, founder of The Adventurists, “we want the world to be covered in dark, unknown forests stretching away in an endless medley of sweat, botheration and deadly insects.”
So Adventurists, we shall fix it. We shall save them all.
This means The Adventurists’ teams will not only be making the world less boring but actually saving mankind from it’s own stupidity as well. Well done you.
So now you know the world needs to be saved from boredom and boiling how might we go about such a proposteration? Every team on every adventure has to raise at least £1000 for charity, at least half of that for the official Adventurists charity.
We spent a whole year looking into this, investigating who did what in the fight to save our foresty marvels. We wanted something real and tangible. Something measured in square metres not policy and intentions. And after looking high and low we found the charity that we think does it best: Cool Earth. They are now the official charity for all the adventures.
Cool Earth saves at-risk rainforest and shields millions of acres of neighbouring forest. They put local people back in control, giving them the resources they need to keep their forest intact.
Cool Earth in a Nutshell
- Put local people in control of at-risk rainforest form non-logging agreements
- Build better incomes, better schools, better clinics
- Do the same with the next village
- Build a shield for the rainforest
WHAT THEY DO
- We never have and never will buy land. Instead we help the local communities take legal control of their forest.
- By building better schools, better clinics and better incomes, we ensure rainforest protection goes hand in hand with better lives.
- We focus our efforts on rainforest that is most at-risk and which would otherwise be destroyed within the next 18 months.
- The protected forest forms a shield to make millions of acres of neighbouring forest inaccessible to loggers.
- We promise that more than 90p in every £1 you donate will go straight to our projects.
Read more on the Cool Earth website.