We’ve been banging on about saving the world for ages and we’ve raised stupendous amounts of money for a load of amazing charities (5 million GBP and counting). We sat down at HQ and pondered on what we could do that will actually save the world and continue the fight to make it less boring.
Then it hit us like a well polished brogue to the nuts: “we must save every rainforest in the world so future generations have somewhere to get stuck”. Not because we’re tree hugging sandal weavers, but because the world would be shit without them. It’s not just about the carbon, the point is rainforests are indescribably excellent.
What would have happened if David Livingstone had vanished in a supermarket car park? Morton Stanley would have found him 3 minutes later slumped in parking bay 93F surrounded by sweet wrappers and used condoms.
No no no... We need rainforests, not just to create oxygen but to get lost in. Without rainforests we’d have no pith helmets. We’d live in a world with no tigers to run away from. There would be no cock gourds, no poisonous tree frogs, no tarzan, no great apes, no David Livingstone, no Mary Kingsley, no Mungo Park.
“Fuck progress,” said Mr. Tom, founder of The Adventurists, “we want the world to be covered in dark, unknown forests stretching away in an endless medley of sweat, botheration and deadly insects.”
So Adventurists, we shall fix it. We shall save them all.
This means The Adventurists’ teams will not only be making the world less boring but actually saving mankind from it’s own stupidity as well. Well done you.
So now you know the world needs to be saved from boredom and boiling how might we go about such a proposteration? Every team on every adventure has to raise at least £1000 for charity, at least half of that for the official Adventurists charity.
We spent a whole year looking into this, investigating who did what in the fight to save our foresty marvels. We wanted something real and tangible. Something measured in square metres not policy and intentions. And after looking high and low we found the charity that we think does it best: Cool Earth. They are now the official charity for all the adventures.
Cool Earth saves at-risk rainforest and shields millions of acres of neighbouring forest. We put local people back in control, giving them the resources they need to keep their forest intact.
Read more on the Cool Earth website.
You can see the top 10 here
Our chums at Cool Earth have a money-can't-buy trip to Peru up for grabs. One worthy adventurist team or derbyist will win the chance to go to Peru to see first-hand the amazing work safeguarding these rainforests that is being done by the Ashaninka people.
We will be publishing a leaderboard of the top 10 Cool Earth fundraisers and in March 2014 we will be entering the ten teams into a prize-draw with the winner getting this excellent prize. The remaining 9 teams on the leaderboard will each win a golden ticket for one of our Adventures.
The winning team will be sent to Peru where they will undertake an expenses paid expedition deep into the Amazon Rainforest via light aircraft, mototaxi, boat and foot. The team will arrive in the heart of the forest where they will stay with the indigenous folk, eating, sleeping as they do; learning about their way of life and witnessing the invaluable work they are doing. Here is a video made by Cool Earth showing the sort of adventure you will encounter on the trip:
How do I get in the running?
You need to be signed up to one of our events from the following: Mongol Rally 2013; Mongol Derby 2013; Rickshaw Run September 2013; Mototaxi Junket 2013; Rickshaw Run January 2014, Ice Run 2014; Rickshaw Run April 2014. You then need to raise funds for Cool Earth and be in the top 10 fundraisers by the fundraising deadline.
When is the draw taking place?
We will count the totals to choose the top 10 fundraisers on March 31st 2013, the draw will happen shortly after.
What does the prize include?
Flights, in country accommodation, travel and food will be covered by Cool Earth. The team will find and pay for their own insurance and jabs. The Adventurist prize is one free team place on one adventure of their choosing (not including the Mongol Derby).
How is fundraising counted?
Fundraising is counted either by totals on fundraising platforms such as JustGiving or VirginMoneyGiving or by transferring a lump sum directly to the bank account of Cool Earth (funds must reach CE by fundraising deadline).
Does my own-choice fundraising count to the leaderboard?
No, the competition is only open to funds raised directly for Cool Earth.
Is there an alternative prize?
You can have a packet of biscuits. We will confirm with the top ten leaderboard their willingness to participate shortly before the draw, they must be able to take time off work in May and be happy to travel to the Peruvian Rainforest and go face to face with everything it can throw at you.
How many people will go on the Peru expedition?
The expedition is open to people registered on an Adventurist team.
1. Teams are eligible for this fundraising initiative if they are fully signed up on one of the following adventures: Mongol Rally 2013; Mongol Derby 2013; Rickshaw Run September 2013; Mototaxi Junket 2013; Rickshaw Run January 2014, Ice Run 2014; Rickshaw Run April 2014.
2. Only funds raised for Cool Earth, the official Adventurists charity, will count towards the team totals used to compile the top ten leaderboard.
3. When compiling the totals raised by teams to calculate the leaderboard only funds raised through a recognised fundraising platform that is accepted by Cool Earth and displayed on a live fundraising profile page or funds that have been received directly before the deadline by Cool Earth and verified will be taken into account. The funds must either be displayed on a verified fundraising profile page or be in the account of Cool Earth - transactions still underway when the deadline passes can’t be taken into account.
4. The deadline for compiling the final top ten leaderboard is March 31st 2014 at 17:00 UK time.
5. No responsibility will be taken for funds not recognised or received by the deadline.
6. The Adventurists and Cool Earth reserve the right to cancel or alter this competition.
7. The ten teams deemed to have raised the most amount of money for the charity Cool Earth as of the deadline will form the final top ten leaderboard. A random draw will be made of those ten teams. The first team to be selected will win a trip to Peru, led and organised by Cool Earth. This prize will have a separate set of terms and conditions encompassing the trip itself. The summary details are that the winning team will be invited to visit a Cool Earth project in Peru. Flights, accommodation and domestic travel in Peru will be included in the prize, the winning team will be responsible for insurance and other miscellaneous costs to be advised. The winners will have to sign an agreement limiting the liability of the expedition organisers and any other documents as required to facilitate the trip.
The other 9 teams will receive a free place on an adventure run by The Adventurists. Certain restrictions will apply, including the availability of the adventures and the time allowed to take up the free team place. The terms and conditions of the free adventure place will be advised.
8. The winning teams must be willing to travel in May 2014 on the dates provided by Cool Earth and by the means provided by Cool Earth. This prize cannot be deferred or transferred in any way and there is no alternative, cash or otherwise.
9. If the team that is randomly selected to win the trip to Peru with Cool Earth does not want to go or is unable to travel on the selected dates, the prize will be offered to the next team picked by the random draw. At the time of the main draw, all teams will be randomly selected in turn to generate the order in which the trip will be offered in these circumstances.
10. No correspondence, attempts to win favour, bribery or other such gubbins will be considered - the rules are clear: the top ten leaderboard as of the deadline will be made up of the teams who have raised the most money for Cool Earth, so it doesn't matter how many bottles of vintage wine or single malt whiskey you send to us, it won’t be taken into consideration.
11. The winning team must be willing to be filmed and be part of a documentary including blogs and in photos and that a media agreement will be drawn up meaning the media rights to the trip and the content taken will be reserved.