It wouldn't be the 21st century without a few stuffy suit wearing mechanoids threatening to give you a standard issue buggering with mountains of paperwork or a stroke inducing authorisation procedure.

Fortunately with our help you should be able to prevent them from getting between you and your adventure.


There are two points to consider here - getting good cover and getting it early.

Sadly many standard policies won't be worth the cleverly disguised toilet paper they are printed on and can leave your family frantically trying to raise half a million quid to make sure you don’t get put back together by the village carpenter. Exactly this has happened.

Your provider should have a good idea of what you are getting up to otherwise you may find out that they defined your trip as 'willful exposure to unnecessary risk’. Do point out that its not a race or competitive event, otherwise they might slap on a wad of cash. 

This is also worth getting done early. Most teams are tempted to sort this out last, but if your goldfish gets run over by a flying saucer and you have to pull out of the event to attend the funeral your insurance providers are the guys who should cover your costs.

It’s true that Insurance providers have the cold mechanical innards of a robot - but the robots at Campbell Irvine have heard of our fight to make the world less boring and can offer decent cover for Runners at a good price. If you are from the UK or EU its worth starting there in your search for cover. If you are from outside of the EU then travel insurance is still vital - so ask around and get something good.

They are not the only insurer available and remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that the company you use understand what the Run entails and the risks involved.


India currently offer a 'Visa On Arrival' system to make it a royal arse-load easier to get into the country.

Unless you are a citizen of Pakistan, Sudan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Sri Lanka and Somalia you can sort out your paperwork and payment on-line and pick up your visa at the airport.

If you do need a visa you can usually pick them up in the nearest capital city to you. The Indian visa isn't always the easiest to get hold of and there might be a couple of small hoops to jump through.

If you can feel your adventure boner going floppy at the thought of all that paperwork The Visa Machine can dot the i’s and cross the t’s for you. They have been working with us since the Rickshaw Run began and we think they are pretty good.




The IDP is a small booklet which explains in multiple languages that someone somewhere deemed you capable of driving on public roads.

If you are not from India and you plan on driving there we highly recommend that you get an international driving permit (IDP) and have it decorated with a category 'A' Stamp. The main reason you need this is to keep your insurance providers satisfied. It is also technically against the law to drive without it.

The category 'A' stamp allows you to drive a 3-wheeled light vehicle (your Auto Rickshaw). For some of you getting the stamp will mean you need to get a motorcycle license first.

We have collated information from various countries - but we're not in the business of nannying and we won't feed you the law on a choo-choo train spoon - it really is your responsibility to get the correct licenses.



Those of you born in the UK have been blessed by the presence of the Robin Reliant. Thanks to its revolutionary forward thinking design a UK driving license technically covers you for driving a 3 wheeled vehicle - which means you can use it to acquire the special stamp in your IDP.

The IDP is issued by 2 organisations in the UK - the AA and the Post Office. You can obtain one directly from the AA by making a postal application or you can apply in person at one of the designated Post Offices (check the specific branch for details) who will issue one on behalf of the AA.

As the IDP has a different set of categories to the UK (grouping 3 wheelers into light weight 3 wheeled vehicles) you should heed the following advice to avoid having issues when furnishing it with the elusive category A stamp.

If your license was issued BEFORE February 2001, you can go to one of the designated Post Offices to obtain the IDP (as the restriction code 122 won't be listed on your license). If they protest (and some will) then ask them to consult their guidelines on IDP's as their issuing guidelines come directly from the. Alternatively you can make an application by post.

If your license was issued AFTER February 2001 or on the back of your photo card licence it has the code 122 detailed in section 12, the Post Office will not provide the 'A' stamp. This means you have to make a postal application directly to the AA.

Postal Applications

You can download the form and find more details on the AA website 

Mark the top of the application Rickshaw Run – Please Stamp ‘A’ and send to:
Rosie Sanderson / Angela Hutchinson
The AA
Upper Ground Floor
Fanum House
RG21 4EA


To get a 'Category A' permit in the colonies, you need a valid US motorcycle permit. A regular drivers license will only enable you to get a type B permit. You can get an international drivers permit at a AAA office.

National Automobile Club

New Zealand

You may need to have a Class 6 Endorsement (motorcycles) on your driving license to ensure you get the Category A stamped. Check the AA website for the most recent updates.

AA New Zealand


Australia now has a standard across all states. To get Category A stamped in you IDP you will need a motorcycle licence (R or RE class). Check with your local authorities to ensure this is the case.

Australian State / Territory Motoring Clubs full list here

South Africa

You need a category B stamp in your licence for the IDP to drive a rickshaw.



You have three choices for getting the IDP:
NAFNorges Automobilforbund,
KNAKongelig Norsk Automobilklub,
MA, Motorførernes Avholdsforbund.
You also need to hold a valid Class A drivers license.


We've been reliably informed this link will take you where you need to go.